Saturday, December 6, 2014

Modiano – less timid than rumor – Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet

Outside the Swedish Academy in the old town hiding the sun remained behind a gray molntak. But inside the gold glimmering Exchange Hall will surprise the 69-year-old French Nobel laureate.

Patrick Modiano is considered to be a timid writer. Now he gives the interpreter lot to do. He winds out of the long response, in several minutes each. Completely effortless.

The announcement of the prize in October came as a surprise, he says. The first time it was as if he was split in two, and that one looked at it there with it, as if it was any other than himself.

Even so, the thoughts that once assigned it around a long time, ever since childhood.

– I’m still stuck in the memories of those times, my childhood, and although I am an old man now I still see part of it as a child, as if I sneak in here among all those whom I admired as a teenager. It feels very strange that this would actually happen.

It also feels odd to see Patrick Modiano taken out of the universe. Judging from his novels, the thin and dreamlike, it seems as if he is constantly else wanders around in his Paris.



Sometimes I even forget the whole books I’ve written.

Patrick Modiano

The press conference is less well attended than several of the recent years, perhaps because the choice of Patrick Modiano not seen as particularly controversial. Therefore, he is also more questions about his writing process than would otherwise have time for. As it is true that he had to force himself to write, and he writes slowly, never more than two pages per day.

– Well, I have to force myself a little. But the thought process that takes place before the actual writing, is very pleasant. But when one needs to decrease those dreams … In particular, to begin a novel is to throw out into cold water.

– I have always been fascinated by authors who claim that they write 8-9 hours at a time. I would never make it, I have to stop after 2-3 hours. I can not focus anymore. After 2-3 hours, everything starts to tangle. It’s like driving a car, you can not run for long. After a while you have to stop, otherwise you will cause an accident.

The justification for that Patrick Modiano receive the Nobel Prize reads: “To the memory arts by which he evoked the ogripbaraste fates and uncovered occupation life-world.” The memories from childhood, he has so far received to around 30 books. But he can not specify a favorite book from her own production, partly because he never really satisfied.

– It is as if I write the same book over and over again. It’s not so much that I repeat myself, it’s not identical, but it reminds you of something in the past. It is unconsciously, sometimes recurs even names I have used the novel characters in other books in my writing right now. How to choose a particular novel can not. Sometimes I even forget the whole books I have written.

Patrick Modiano time not develop if he thinks that he, like some other Nobel Prize Author, may find it difficult to write for the price. It seems highly likely that it will not be so, but that he continues manages to force himself to write.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment